Browse the collection

Bronze Bas-Relief Plaque of William Morris (c.1968)

Alfred Adrian Wolfe (1891 - 1975)

The original plaster from which this bronze plaque was cast was modelled in 1918. It is based on a photograph of William Morris showing him in an identical pose, taken between 1892-3. This bronze plaque was one of six cast casts made in around 1968 when the artist Adrian Alfred Wolfe presented one to the University of Essex for display in one of the University's residences named after William Morris.

After Wolfe's death in 1975, Mrs. Wolfe presented the other casts to the William Morris Gallery, as well as the William Morris Society for display at Kelmscott House, Princeton University, the South Place Ethical Society, Conway House, Red Lion Square and the Museum of Labour History, London.