Waltham Forest Council
The William Morris Gallery and its collections are owned and managed by Waltham Forest Council. The Gallery is run by the Museum, Gallery and Archives Service of the Cultural and Community Services section in the Residents First directorate. The Museum, Gallery and Archives team also runs Vestry House Museum of local history, and the borough archives, a 10 minute walk away in Walthamstow Village.
Frank Brangwyn RA and Walthamstow Borough Council signed a trust deed in 1935 to set up the Gallery and ‘The William Morris Gallery and Brangwyn Gift’ opened to the public in October 1950. The trust deed created a board of trustees, the Trustees of the Brangwyn Gift, whose role would be to advise on the collections at the Gallery.
The Trustees of the Brangwyn Gift
The board of Trustees of the Brangwyn Gift act in an advisory capacity for the collections. They do not have any formal decision making powers but act as a source of advice and support for the curatorial team in matters relating to the collections. The trustees meet on a quarterly basis.
The trustees are: